Full Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Stone Mountain









Romans 9:33
"...as it is written, 'See, I am laying in Zion a stone that will make people stumble, a rock that will make them fall, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.' "

We settled down on a blanket amidst dozens of kids and couples, all waiting for the sky to darken and watching a large mountain intently. As soon as 9:30 pm rolled around, fireworks burst from a stage in front of the mountain, booming country music blared, and multicolored lasers traced the graven images of Robert E. Lee, his horse Traveler, and two fellow mounted (yuk yuk) comrades with their horses. Stone Mountain's nightly laser show is a family affair promoting Georgia, homey values, the Southeast, and America--blazingly patriotic and memorable, we sang along with "Georgia on My Mind," "Devil went Down to Georgia," "Rockytop," and "God Bless the USA."

Earlier in the evening we were joined by Melissa, UNC alumna and member of the earliest Robertson class. Kelsey, Kiley, Lauren, Toni, Melissa and I had a delightfully (or upsettingly, your choice) fried dinner at a Southern place in the Stone Mountain national park. My unequivocally favorite part of the meal was when our waitress, Candy (the others' nametags proclaimed Apple and Biscuit, no joke) announced she was bringing out the hand-tossed rolls. I was holding my camera taking a picture when suddenly a roll hit my camera and my face!!! I mean, hand-tossed really means hand-tossed! Very funny and very tasty.

Back to the abbreviated Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home