Full Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Monday, June 19, 2006

Traffic Here is HELLACIOUS

Jeremiah 10:23
"I know, O Lord, that the way of human beings is not in their control, that mortals as they walk cannot direct their steps. Correct me, O Lord, but in just measure; not in your anger, or you will bring me to nothing."
You think the title's extreme? Wait till you hear about the jammed, panic-inducing, usually 80 mph, bumper-to-bumper, relentless flood of vehicles all vying for the same twisting, one-way roads every single day.

Yesterday I had the three-and-a-half hour experience of being utterly lost on and around Atlanta's Perimeter, I-285. Goodness gracious, it's just a big circle, right? Right. A simple circle in the same way that you can just look at one spaghetti noodle in a heap of spaghetti and find its end (incidentally, there is a "Spaghetti Junction" in the ATL--no joke). Well, I left work and missed a tiny ramp curving to the right; I traveled from one road to another, searching for familiar names and having only the aid of my printed GoogleMaps page getting me from work to my apartment. Being a rather laidback individual at times and relaxing into the realization I'm here to explore and learn, I decided to just try some new roads (It really hurts to type this--I deserve the title of this blog now). Again, THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER, I am still sitting on I-285. There is a gigantic 18-wheeler in front of me, behind me, to my left and to my right. I could open my sun roof if I wanted to see blue sky. By that time, I had gotten some great vocal practice by singing all the songs I know by heart; trying out every radio station for at least three songs; calling virtually all my family members to check on them; and eventually starting to write this and my required Robertson essay on the back of my map. I really don't want to indulge in explaining the details of the turnarounds (though I made a personal records of U-turns and circles in parking lots), but I ultimately wound up far south of Atlanta, had to drive through it all again, starting at my work place. That was the most wicked part of it all: I ended up back where I started, left from there, found that accursed, previously neglected little ramp, and headed home. I'm making progress, though; I'm happy to say that yesterday my travel was only 30 minutes to home, which included a grocery run. Hooray! But I'm not going to lie; Atlanta traffic is still bullying me around like nobody's business.

Thanks and appreciation for my ability to blog this go to the dear souls at Best Western, Captain D's, QT, the Lord, luck and numerous other places who gave me directions.

To the right-->
Yes, the traffic lights are out, and it's rush hour. ?!?!

Meaningful essay to come soon.

Back to the abbreviated Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home