Full Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Monday, June 19, 2006

Let Freedom Ring


Lisa Croucher, head of the Robertson summer programs, has joined our cadre in Atlanta for two days to observe our activities as well as investigate opportunities for future scholars. She and I had a noonday lunch at Cafe 458, chatted with my mentor Mike, and then decided to tour the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Center. Lisa discovered a fifteen-minute film about to show highlighting the historical role of America's youth in encouraging societal change.

It was amazing! In that snatch of time, the video detailed the determined yet nonviolent stands of young Americans ranging from six to eighteen years old. Lisa and I were both tearing up, to be perfectly honest--it compelled us both to consider how powerful the actions of even children are when they are passionately fighting for the side of right and also how weighty upon us is the responsibility to recognize civic injustice and pursue a freer, more harmonious life for all.

I was really impressed with the Center; yes, they gave you all the information you could ever want about Dr. King, his home life, his charismatic oratory, but the clear message of the exhibits was encouraging everyone to take a nonviolent stand against the problems of the world and to be proactive in improving others' lives. It struck me to compare MLKJ with the much earlier Martin Luther, another famed historical figure who dared to point out what he considered institutional wrongs via his skill in writing. I doubt just having that name inspired King to lead so many, but perhaps historical examples can make us realize that by a relentless determination for doing what's right and utilizing God-given and studied resources, we can really achieve.

"Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major. Say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. Say that I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things in life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. And that's all I want to say.
If I can help somebody as I pass along, if I can cheer somebody with a word or song, if I can show somebody he is traveling wrong, then my living will not be in vain."

-the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Back to the abbreviated Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home