Full Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Monday, June 19, 2006

458-Eat Well, Do Good

Cafe 458


I arrived at 9am wearing the suggested T-shirt, jeans and ballcap (I never wear hats, this is very exciting!). After enduring a volley of staff names and retaining none, my mentor gave me a tour around the pantry and kitchen. Welcome to the economy-sized world, SuzyQ.

Mike the mentor believes in learning on-the-job after a short overview. Thus, he told me to "go in the back, get an apron, and bake a cake." Yes, ladies and gentlemen, not thirty minutes inside the place and I'm baking a banana cake in a pan (more like a vat) and praying I wouldn't upset my ancestors (if you know my last name, you'll appreciate that). It was terrific fun!

The other volunteers expressed a lot of curiosity about me; most of them are a bit older than I am and have enjoyed working for the Cafe for months. They wanted to hear all about the Robertson program, Duke vs. UNC, working at the SECF, and whether I knew what I was doing with that enormous cake. The kitchen has a wonderfully relaxed climate, as well; 98.5 is always audibly playing a mix of good ol' favorites and new hits and, as Mike gravely told me, singing and wacky dancing is encouraged. Clients began to file in around 11am (lunch is from 11am-1pm on weekdays, I think 11-2 on weekends, but that's a different case: the customers pay for their meals on weekends to support the cafe), and I was working in the kitchen. The waiters/waitresses would give me the order on the usual restaurant pad, and I and my new friend would prepare them.

Using 8 tables of 4 seats each, the Cafe daily turns tables twice, so approximately 60 people are served. In a year, the Cafe will serve around 13,000 meals!

For those of you who were wondering about my culinary abilities, the cake came out GREAT! Everyone was very complimentary (probably because they realized I was so inept) and they liked the fact I added chocolate chips in for kicks, though the recipe didn't include them (I thought it would be fun, plus I wasn't sure if I added enough sugar). They even brought out whipped cream to add a celebratory touch. It was warm, tasty and delicious, even if it was made by me.

This place is wonderful; I'm working with a majority of Christians who are earnestly helping people with real needs such as meals, finding employment, Alcoholics Anonymous, counseling, etc. And I get to help with not only the kitchen, but the other outlets as well! I feel like the luckiest kid alive to actually be of help when I know so little. Hooray!

Back to the abbreviated Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home